Did You Know?
Your Metabolism is Really NEAT.
Did you know three components make up your metabolism? Your body burns calories through its basal metabolic rate, the process of digestion, and the physical activity you do. Basal metabolic rate is how many calories you burn when you are just lying around. The process of digestion burns calories as your body breaks down the foods you eat and beverages you drink. Physical activity includes planned exercise and activity throughout your day (i.e.- steps, yardwork, house work, etc.).
NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, this is the calories you burn during daily activity, not exercise. NEAT provides another opportunity for you to make a large increase in your daily calorie burn. It does not require a gym membership, spandex or a rigid plan. NEAT only requires you to be creative during your daily routines.
Keep it SIMPLE and be CREATIVE!
- Take the stairs
- Walk a few laps around the store before shopping
- Walk to a co-worker’s office instead of sending an email
- Walk/ride a bike for errands that are close to home or work
- Start a walking group with neighbors, friends or coworkers
- Explore physical activity groups in your area – mommy & me, hiking, biking, etc.
The below handout gives even more ideas on being NEAT!
Click on an image below for more of the HealthMatters Newsletter.